How to effectively downsize the office?
Although we often design vast offices thousands of square metres in size, the current trend is in the other direction, i.e. towards downsizing, from the total area to the number of workspaces. What benefits does office downsizing bring and how can companies implement it effectively?
Moving and work from home
Companies sometimes look to downsize their offices if employees work from home or alternate between office and home during the week, meaning not all office capacity is being used. According to data from Capexus clients who measure occupancy, the average daily occupancy of their offices is around 25-30 %.
Downsizing can also be associated with the relocation of the company's headquarters. If you are facing a move, see how to move the office in such a way that what began as a chore becomes an interesting opportunity for development.
There are three ways to downsize an office:
- By reducing the number of workspaces/desks
- By reducing the office space
- By diversifying the office space
Quality vs. quantity
Effective reduction or diversification of work areas in any of the ways mentioned above has two fundamental benefits. The first is the reduction of the financial burden on the operation of large office complexes (costs of electricity, heating or air-conditioning, cleaning, etc.).
The money saved can be invested in a more flexible, high-quality, modern and sustainable workplace, in which employees will feel better and be more productive.
The smaller the space, the cleverer the arrangement. How to effectively invest in a functional downsized office?
- Mobile furniture or the "anywhere" meeting room: Flexible storage systems are used for storing things and as seating furniture. Features include foldable, height-adjustable tables on wheels and ergonomic seating that anyone with a bad back will surely appreciate. Finally, roll-up blinds, railed curtains or screens with boards, shelves or flowerpots and the like are a practical and attractive accessory.
- Isolation cells: where silence reigns: It is always useful to have a quiet corner for work requiring a high degree of concentration. Special soundproof units equipped with a desk and comfortable seating take up very little space and offer a perfect place to concentrate.
- Work jungle: With regular professional care, high-quality and healthy plants can work wonders. Short-term plant rental is also an option, thanks to which your office can be constantly transformed.
- Bonus: Among current trends in workplace "improvement" for employees and clients are the use of professional aroma diffusers or renting works of art that beautify the workplace and lend it a unique atmosphere.
Analysing the daily routine is the key to success
A fundamental step towards effective office downsizing is creating a workplace analysis. Experts from our Workplace Consultancy team can accurately determine the use of individual rooms or track employee turnover during working hours.
Photo authors: Petr Andrlík, Prokop Laichter, Aeternus Pictures - Tomáš Schiller
Published 5 October, 2022